Thursday, July 31, 2014

Nigerian clapping game: Module 6







1. Title: Unknown

2. Performers: Small Children

3. Origin: Nigeria

4. Orchestration: Hands and Vocals







For my final blog for our class, I have decided to post a short video of Nigerian children having fun in playing a clapping game.  These kind of games can teach children skills such as coordination, teamwork as well as organization.  These kind of game also develops music skills such as rhythmic beats and timing.  In watching this video, it reminds me of being a young child in grade school and playing similar games on the playground during recess.  These kind of games help teach socialization with working together to coordinate moves for a successful game!



As teachers, we can learn about other cultures in observing children’s interactions and musical play with these kind of games. It can be used as a vehicle to teach our students about the music and other values of different cultures. Perhaps in class we could have a heritage day in which students’ research, demonstrate and teach other students the game of their particular culture. This kind of activity could serve as an excellent venue to tie in socialization!


1 comment:

  1. I just learned this exact handclapping pattern for a Jamaican alphabet song! I wonder if there is a connection... Your idea for a heritage day is a great one. I also suggest heading out to the playground to see what is already occurring in the children's musical culture.

    ReplyDelete