Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Mariachi Los Camperos- Popurri: Module 5







Origin: Mexico
Title: Popurri
Performers: Mariachi Los Comperos
Instrumentation: Strings, Trumpets, Vocals,  Guitars



Mariachi is a form of folk music from Mexico. Mariachi began as a regional folk style called “Son Jaliscience” in the center west of Mexico. It was originally played only with string instruments. Modifications of the music included influences from polkas and waltzes. Starting with the addition of trumpets and the use of charro outfits, the musical style began to take on national prominence in the first half of the 20th century with its promotion at Mexico presidential inaugurations and on the radio in the 1920s.

I really enjoyed watching this video. I loved the interaction with the audience as well as how much it appeared that the musicians on stage were enjoying what they were doing. The band was full of energy! On the topic of Authenticity, I believe that this video shows authentic Mariachi music. As an educator, I would show this to my class.

The music of the mariachi band is an excellent genre of music to employ different creating strategies. Students can learn that it is a mixture of local musical elements as well as European and African elements as well. From Europe, it borrowed many of the dance forms such as the waltz and the fandango. Students may be asked to create their own waltz in a similar style to what they heard and discussed in class. A teacher could designate a single player in groups to create a principal melody in the  Waltz/Mariachi style. Other members of the group could create counter melodies as well.  From Africa, it borrowed dance rhythms and  other melodic ideas. Students can be asked to create their own rhythmic patterns on their instrument that are similar to this style listened to and discussed as well. Mariachi song forms (such as the bolero, canción ranchera, son, huapango, joropo, and danzón) are dictated by the rhythmic patterns that are performed usually by the guitar section of the group. 

With the knowledge of the style and rhythms of Mariachi music, students can have fun and enjoy creating music from this wonderful culture! 



























3 comments:

  1. Michael,
    This truly was a pleasure to watch. I really enjoy the energy of a good mariachi group. I have seen quite a number of them over the years, but I must say this is the first time I can recall such prominent use of the harp! Trumpets, violins, vihuelas, guitarrons - yes... but the harp is a bit unusual! Still it is great to expand our concept a bit and realize that there is more than one way to do lots of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,

    When I listen to high quality mariachi music I am frequently struck by the terrific precision of the homorhythmic instrumental parts. The trumpets in this recording do a great job of matching note lengths, volume, and articulations. It truly leaves me with the impression of one musician playing multiple instruments simultaneously. Since this is such a desired performance trait in many of the traditional music classes in our schools, I think that the use of mariachi recordings and performances could be a great way to incorporate world musics into an existing, traditional music class structure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a large group! Mariachi on steroids! I see that Epcot is in the background so it makes sense that there is such a large group for Disney. Do you know when and for what purpose this concert occurred?

    ReplyDelete