The above song is “Drowsy Maggie” which is a traditional Irish Song performed by the group The Ghillie’s. The orchestration of this song is Harp, Guitar, Violin, Flute and a traditional Irish Hand Drum.
This piece ties into what was discussed in our readings during Module One of our class Music of the World. The members of this ensemble that are performing are “Music Makers”. Music makers can be one person, a group, professionals or amateurs performing. It is not clear whether the members of this video’s ensemble received formal training or if this music was taught and handed down from generation to generation. My guess is that since this is a traditional Irish song, it was handed down by generations. You do not necessarily need formal training in a music education program to perform music. They are not reading any music during this performance. The members that are in this video can be performing for themselves or for an audience. Of course, any audience that is taking part in this performance are associated in the group of listeners. Listeners are the world’s largest participants as consumers of music. Ethnomusicologists study music that emphasizes cultural, social, cognitive, biological in addition to the particular repertoire of a country of culture.
Michael,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this video and piece. It seems like I always forget how much I like listening to traditional Irish music. I agree with you that this is probably something that most Irish musicians know and pass down from generation to generation. When I started watching the video, I thought it sounded familiar, or at least it did in the beginning. I think they played this in Titanic when they go down to the third class deck and dance to the Irish music. I might be wrong though, and I know that’s kind of a strange thing to remember!
Michael,
ReplyDeleteGreat call finding a song that was part of our reading. I find the aspect of enjoyment by the players an especially crucial component of ethnic music. It is clear that they are playing for their own enjoyment. This is especially true when they vocalize a, "hey," toward the end of the piece. I think that Joanna is right about the beginning being a part of the movie Titanic. It sounds so familiar. It is also interesting that there seems to be a short beginning and ending section that are different from each other and the body of the piece, which is repeated. Good example to start the class with.
This video has made me rethink my response to identifying instruments in the Irish listening sample. I thought the opening instrument was a mandolin but now I realize that it more likely was the harp - which I had not thought of. This video is also a good example of the individual variations being added by each of the different participants as was discussed in the Wade text.
ReplyDeleteNo formal music education as in school music, but some teacher-student relationships often exist. This brings up an interesting idea - what is "formal" and "informal" music teaching? What are the connotations associated with those terms?
ReplyDelete