This is the second of what will be several weekly blogs
during the course of the class “Technology Assisted Music Learning”. The
following paragraphs will reflect on what I learned during Module 2 of the
class. I am looking forward being further educated more on technology in music
and music education.
Musescore
and Noteflight are two affordable music writing programs that are viable
alternatives to the more expensive programs such as Finale or Sibelius. I really
enjoyed learning about these programs. Having some experience with Sibelius and
Finale, I found these programs similar in use and not difficult to pick up.
Musescore and Noteflight are programs that I could use with my students in
teaching a theory or composition class. I do not personally own the expensive
programs so I will try using these programs if I need to re-arrange parts for
my band class. I am not sure which program I prefer yet. I need more experience
over time with both programs do see which one I prefer.
Personal Learning
Network or PLN, is where a student uses several internet resources and social
media to become better educated. For our class, it is designed to help us
become more educated not only in technology but music education in general.
This week, we continued to contribute and grow our PLN. We set up several
internet resources such as Feedly, Twitter and we joined the Digital Musicking
Group on Google. I am gaining a greater understanding of the PLN and how it
works. I am really starting to get into the whole Twitter/# craze. I tweeted
twice this week about good exercises for teaching dynamics as well as a picture
of my Marching Band getting ready to perform at the NYC St. Patrick’s Day
Parade this Monday! This was my
contribution to the Digital Musicking Group this week: http://beingmusicalbeinghuman.com/2014/02/12/school-music-vs-real-music/
During the week of Module 2, we
had some readings from Dr. Bauer’s new book “Music Learning Today.” In Chapter
3 on page 46, Dr. Bauer talked about music creativity. I found it interesting
on page 46 when he said, “Creativity is usually and assumed part of being
musical, and music educators certainly have the opportunity to develop
student’s ability to think creatively.” I think that this is a concept that
sometimes as educators we lose focus on. Especially at the High School level,
we are always performance driven with different concerts and festivals that we
lose the concept of teaching technique and creativity. The rest of the reading
talked about several topics such as MIDI, Improvisation, Composition, Audiation
and Instructional Constraints. I think the one thing that many music teacher
face in their districts in financial constraints especially when it comes to
technology. However, there are many other cost-effective alternatives out there
such as what I learned this week with Musescore and Noteflight. You don’t need
to spend hundreds of dollars to create wonderful music!
No comments:
Post a Comment