This week’s Listening Journal focuses on Chapters 1 and 2 in
the Book American Popular Music. The Chapters focused on the early development
of popular music in the United States from around 1840 to 1917. During the
course of my readings, I also listened to several different songs that were
written around the same period. The course of this timeline of history took us from
the early traveling minstrels up to ragtime. I also learned about several early
popular music artists such as Stephen Foster, John Philips Sousa and Scott
Joplin.
Early
American music was influenced by the British Ballad tradition. “Barbara Allen”
was one of the earliest popular songs from this time. The recording of this
song I listened to was sung a cappella. By listening to this song, I can see
that this could be considered an early influence of what will in later years
become county music. The strain of her singing voice and pronunciation of words
lead me to come to this conclusion. This song talks about love which will be a
common theme in many popular song lyrics for years to come. In the recording I
listen to, Jean Ritchie sings twelve four line verses.
“Soldier’s
Joy” was another song that I listened to during my readings. This song used a
popular instrument of the time called the fiddle. I found the lyrics
interesting as I listened and followed along in the book. The lyrics “25 cents
for morphine, 15 cents for beer, 25 cents for morphine, that’s gonna take me
away from here” blew my mind. If I didn’t know any better, I would have thought
by just looking at those lyrics that they were written in the 1960’s during the
Vietnam War.
During
the Chapters, I also listened to many other early recordings that influenced
the development of music in America. I listened to early recording of African
American, Latino and Brass Bands. Brass Bands lead to the development of
community and school bands that are still a major part of our culture today.
John Philips Sousa was the major figure of the Brass Band movement. He toured
all around the United States and the World towards the end of the 19th
Century and the beginning of the 20th. One of my favorite Sousa
marchers that I have both played and conducted with my High School Band is “El
Capitan”. I love the way Sousa composed the 16th note and dotted 8th
note runs. I also like the use of dynamics that he uses as well. The B section
is more of a laid back feel but it does have its impact hits before having an
exciting a forte ending.
No comments:
Post a Comment